Trail food? What can I say!!
The never ending hunger we experience along the trail....It motivates...it inspires...and it fuels. We actually burn more calories than we take in every day.
Breakfast: Dry cereal with chia seed. Coffee/tea.
Lunch: Bread/crackers with tuna or cheese.
Dinner: Rice/pasta with tuna or salmon.
Dessert: Honey on crackers...(we can't forget Dessert!)
Snacks: Energy bars, chocolate and gorp.
Occasionally the menu changes...(fish & chips and a yummy ice cream when the opportunity
arises...if the trail wanders through a camp ground or small town).
1) The forest streams of the Northland are so beautiful and tranquil.
We hiked over 3 miles through this stream heading for the coast.
2) One of the many coastal campsites...can you see how we dry out our socks?
3) The National Geographic Society calls this coastline #2 in the world for its beauty.
4) We walked over this bridge known as The Whananaki Footbidge...a 350meter/ 1,050 foot marvel...It is the longest of its kind in the southern hemisphere.
5) View looking north from the Headlands of Whangarei (pronounced Fong-a-ray). A very steep climb in very hot sun.
Question? What is the national bird of New Zealand?
In the upcoming blogs I will discuss the gear we are carrying and some of the people we have met along the way.